I was listening to some older recordings by Jeff Herring “The article guy” and came across some good information for those that write articles or blogs.
Jeff said a couple of things about being a writer that jumped out at me and I thought I would share them with you.
First, he said writers need to be able to ask themselves “what is it that I am doing when I write?”
In my article or blog am I:
- Providing information
- Trying to educate
- Giving a call to action
- Trying to persuade
- Presenting ideas for problem solving
Once you know which of the above you are trying to incorporate into your article or blog you need to think about your audience and ask yourself these questions:
- What are their expectations?
- How can they use the information provided?
- What is the audience hoping to take away by reading your article?
- Why are you communicating this information to them in the first place?
After listening to Jeff explain a bit about the above it caused me to think a bit differently about what I may write and what it is that I want my readers to take away.
Jeff has a lot of information on his site about marketing and content. I have found a few good pearls when I have done some perusing on his site. You may want to take a look.