Summer has officially begun. Depending where you live it may be time to plant your garden, get the beach or lake equipment ready, plan some barbecues and set up a summer exercise program. Summer represents a fun time, one that people look forward to all year.
Summer is a time of anticipation of beautiful weather, outdoor activities and spending time with family and friends. This is why we love this season.
Summer is also a time when people think about making personal changes. The reason for this is people are happier in the summer and happiness will trigger endorphins that stimulate self-motivation.
When do you feel like doing something different for yourself, in the middle of winter, when it is cold, dark and wet? Most people would consider making changes during the summer when we have more daylight to be outdoors and are planning exciting events, it is a feel good season.
Change can be difficult, but there are a few simple steps that you can take to help implement a new change for yourself. The first is to be honest and specific about the change that you wish to accomplish. Once you know what you want to change or implement follow the steps below to help you achieve it.
1. Start Simple: Make a simple statement of what it is that you want to accomplish. Remember the word “simple;” the more complicated you make things, the less likely you will make the change.
2. Be Realistic: Be realistic with what you can accomplish.
3. Believe: If you do not believe that you can accomplish your change, nor have the drive to, it will not happen. You must be able to see yourself actually doing your change.
4. Have a Strategy: You need to have a step-by-step plan of what you can do and are willing to do to accomplish your change. Write it out, think it out, live it out!
5. Commitment: Are you committed to making this happen in your life? Only you know for sure. No one likes to fail, so weighing your desire versus your commitment to following it through is serious.
Continual growth in our life is excellent for our well-being. Having large or small goals keep us moving ahead to become the person we ultimately see ourselves becoming. It is never too late to pick something new to challenge us to become the best that we can.