One common complaint I hear from employees when I speak at conferences is they do not feel that their superior or employer really respects them as a person and fellow co-worker.
I have a difficult time understanding why a manager or employer would not want to treat their employees with the highest sense of respect as they are the people who come in contact with their customers. How do they expect their employees to show respect for customers when it is not being shown to them at work.
Demonstrating that you value your employees involves treating them well every day they are at work. Below are a few tips on how to show respect to those you work with.
- Do not ask an employee to perform an unpleasant task without providing a positive reason and showing them yourself how to do it.
- Always treat employees as equals who just do a different job in the organization.
- Take the time to train employees and listen to their concerns.
- Treat a mistake as an opportunity to teach and to better communicate regarding their job tasks.
- Take the time to praise good work.
Most of all remember the Golden Rule needs to apply in the workplace, “Treat each individual as you yourself would want to be treated.”