Today we will continue to look at “why we do not like to listen to some people.” The negative, complaining coworkers, drip, drip, drip. They grate on us like nails on a chalkboard. Can they not find one positive thing to say?
People who are just negative and do nothing but complain usually have a reason for being this way. The big issue, is once their reason allows them to get away with being poison in the office, they will not stop. This type of person has to be dealt with up-front and quickly.
The cost of their behavior needs to weigh heavy on their side. Because if the behavior continues, they will not have a job. No one likes to work with this type of person. If they are allowed to keep their job it can be a guarantee that anyone who works closely with them will not be able to do their job to the best of their ability.
The company loses production and that is money when these types of people are allowed to seep their negative poison among the troops.
What is the best way to deal with these folks?
- As I mentioned, if you are in a management or business owner position, confront them quickly and let them know if they continue they will no longer have a job. They are poison to your other employees.
- As a coworker, do not engage their negativity. Switch topics or cut straight to the point you are trying to talk to them about.
- Spend as little time as possible around them.
- When they say something negative, tell them how you see things differently. (Not that this will change them, but is helps you feel better about the encounter.)
- Be kind and put on your “invisible cloak of protection” and go on your way.
- Whatever you do, do not let their negativity, stick on you.
“You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.”
― Joel Osteen