“There is no such thing as a half-hearted champion” ~ John Maxwell
Definition of half-hearted – “without enthusiasm”
I am sure there are thousands upon thousands of people every day that go to work “half-hearted.” The reason for this can range from personal issues to disliking their job (and 100 reasons in between these).
Is there anything that could be done to help these employees turn around and become champions at work instead of half-hearted employees?
In the true case where an employee is mis-matched for their job and they truly do not like what they are doing I would have to say no. They should seek employment that would be fulfilling and make them happy.
For the rest of the reasons, there may be hope. As a manager, supervisor or employer it is your responsibility to stay connected to your employees so that you may be able to sense if an employee begins to show signs of being less than enthused on the job.
What can you do if you think an employee is becoming “half-hearted”? According to “Impact Coaching and Mentoring” (link below), there are several steps that can be taken not only to find out what is going on, but then to turn the situation around and “Breathe Life” into these employees and turn them into champions.
1. Get to the root of the problem by scheduling a time for a heart-to-heart chat.
2. It is important as an employer/manager not only to get the talk going, but then to sit quietly and listen.
3. Take the time to invest in employees with your knowledge and further education for them.
4. Care about them as a person, raise them up and empower them to reach new goals that are exciting to them and are beneficial to the company. (A win-win)
5. By doing these types of things you are showing them that they have value to you as their employer/manager and they are valuable to the business.
If you are an employer or manager and you have employees who seem less engaged it is vital to them and your organization to see if you can breathe life into them and turn them from being half-hearted to champions. You will not regret the investment.