Wednesday is known as “hump day.”
With that in mind I have posted five inspiring leadership lessons from Leon Panetta to get you up and over the hump.
Taking these five leadership lessons to heart, and applying them to your life every day, whether you are in a position of leadership now or hope to be in the future, you can make a difference.
- The most important thing a leader can do is to make the lives of the people they lead and serve better. Invest in people and they will invest in you.
- A dream is just a dream unless you are willing to work for it, to sacrifice, to take risks, to fight and to never give up. To do whatever is necessary to make the dream a reality.
- Many believe fate just happens, but fate can actually rest in our own hands if we let it. Fate presents challenges that test us. It’s how we respond that will determine what lies ahead. How we lead or how we fail to lead will largely determine that path.
- There are two choices leaders can take – to lead ahead and through a crisis or to wait and lead only when a problem or crisis arises. The latter allows the crisis to determine the future. Leading, however gives you a foundation for how to handle and respond in the moment and in the future.
- Decisions can be tough, leading isn’t easy, but doing it gets things done. Be willing to fight for what you want. In the words of Teddy Roosevelt, “when faced with a tough decision, the best thing you can do is make the right decision, the next best thing you can do is make the wrong decision. But, the worst thing you can do is do nothing.”
These five lessons will surly get you over the hump and looking forward to taking your team to the next level of excellence!