Today, I would like to touch on the topic of leadership and personal characteristics.
When you look below at some of the most successful leaders of today there are two specific characteristics that you will find in each of them.
- Steve Jobs – Apple
- Stephen Covey – Covey Institutes
- Sir Richard Branson – Virgin
- Warren Buffett – Berkshire Hathaway
- Howard Schultz – Starbucks
Take a moment and think. Can you name these two characteristics? They are Self-confidence and a positive attitude.
These two personal growth traits do not happen over night, they develop over time. Self-confidence is developed by learning significant skills, practicing them and knowing that you are adding value to who you are by doing so.
We can develop a positive attitude. It may take time and practice but it can be done. We must remember that ultimately we are in control of our attitude. As much as many people try to deny this, it just is not true.
There are four things that can help kick-start a positive attitude:
- Adopt strong beliefs that create a good attitude rather than beliefs about a bad attitude.
- Use positive self-talk and in general use positive vocabulary.
- Avoid being around or becoming a whiner and complainer.
- Be thankful for each day and everything that you have.
Starting your day with a thankful heart can make the biggest difference in how you feel and what you project to others. If you are in a leadership role having a positive attitude when you encounter your employees in the morning will also make a big difference in their attitude and how their day goes.
“ Leadership is not about titles, positions, or flow charts. It is about one life influencing another.” ~ John Maxwell