Employees care about having a good leader at work to follow and work with. A good leader makes their team feel secure in their positions and expected job duties.
Although there are many attributes that employees expect from good leader, there are really five top attributes that they must possess.
- To be honest and trustworthy
- To be able to delegate knowing their team players strengths and weaknesses
- To be able to communicate clearly on goals, expectations and the vision of the team and business.
- To be committed to the team as a whole and to the business and project their commitment to the team.
- To have a good sense of humor to help the team to get through tough times and to have a better environment to work in on a daily basis.
Finding leaders with these five attributes does not seem like a tough task, but apparently it is harder than one would think.
What surprised me most of the hundreds of staff members that I talked to the top two problems they had encountered with their leaders were dishonesty and not being committed to the business they were working for.
Is it a wonder why so many businesses have employee problems? How can the staff be expected to grow and flourish when their direct supervisors lack some of the vital attributes of leadership?
No matter how big or small the business is, having a good leadership training program is an absolute must. Not only will it weed out the poor candidates, but also it will support the ones that are on track to grow in their abilities to lead their teams.
There are many good training programs available, either online or local seminars, not to mention the thousands great leadership and management books. If you are in upper management or a business owner, take a good look at your leaders and make sure that they are the right ones to lead your teams.
If you have any questions as to whether they are doing a good job or not, just ask those that they are in charge of. I am sure they will be happy to give you their in-put.