In my work, I will often talk with people who are struggling with the ability to move forward with their goals in life. The number one problem for these people seems to be that other things always get in the way and take priority of their own time.
When I ask them what these “other things” are, I usually find out that they are things that are on others agendas for them to do and not on their own agenda.
I understand things can come up that temporarily distract us from pursuing our goals, but if it is happening so often that we never reach our goals something is terribly wrong.
Here are a few “goal blockers” that people will encounter:
- Lack of ability to say “no” to others when they want us to do things that distract us from our goals.
- Feeling our goals are unattainable, and we do not deserve to achieve them.
- Putting life on hold to take care of others.
- Lack of real vision for what we can accomplish.
- Not taking responsibility for our own desires and plan to achieve them.
In order to keep moving forward on a road to success, you must define your mission each day. Without a clear laid out map of where you will begin each morning and a plan of where you will end each day it is easy to get derailed in between and fall into the plans of others.
“Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.” ~ Tom Landry