Are you constantly behind on your work or projects? Do you have a messy desk with several little stacks on it? Is there never enough time to finish all you have to get done? If they answer is yes, you could be suffering from procrastination.
I am sure you remember that old saying “don’t put off till tomorrow what you can do today?” For some people putting things off until tomorrow, the next day or the next is just a way of life, personally and professionally.
An interesting fact about people who suffer from procrastination is that they are not born that way. Procrastination is learned. It is difficult, but if one wants to stop there is something you can do.
There is no magic wand to wave to overcome procrastination, but if you begin to take small steps your life will be much different and the people you work with will be much happier and more productive because you are. Below are five steps to begin your life without procrastination.
- Make a short list with 3-5 things you need to accomplish.
- Take one of the things and break it into small steps and do the first step.
- Let yourself feel good after taking the first step and continue with each step until the task is completed. Once completed reward yourself, you deserve it.
- Don’t try to be perfect; it is effort and completion that counts.
- Daily, if not hourly, visualize what your life would be like if you did not procrastinate and tell yourself you can do this.
“There is joy in work. There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something.” ~ Henry Ford
For further reading see attached article from Mind Tools